2016-10-15

How Do I Measure MY Success???

Questions I contemplated on the treadmill today.

How do I measure my success? When I am good enough? When I have given enough?

What do I do if it doesn't seem like I am getting closer to some of my goals?
What if my goals aren't appropriate?


How do I measure my success? When I am good enough? When I have given enough?
I used to think it was by the scale because that was what everyone asks, how much do you weigh.
I realized that wasn't ever going to be a good answer since I will ALWAYS weigh too much according to the modern standards and the stupid BMI.

So I tossed my scales.
Well actually I put them in my storage unit since they were really good ones and might come in handy at some point in the future.

Then I started taking measurements and pictures.
But that depressed me.
It is depressing me since it doesn't seem like it is moving.
Others might tell me that I am looking better but I DON'T SEE IT.
It is like watching glaciers move.
You can see the change but not right away.
You need to track it over a long time.
I feel "tighter" at times but measurements don't carry that thru.
I also don't know how big I was when I was at my biggest.

So I decided I need to use more performance based for progress and success.
I don't expect to be able to improve a LOT in a short time but I do have old performance records.
I can tell if I am doing the same or if I am doing better than older records.
An example was in my last post.
Today, I had 45 minutes on the treadmill and almost got 2 miles in that time, with my pack on.


Way more sweaty than normal too.
Looking back, that is faster than I have done before so I am happy.


Now what about goals?
What do I do if it doesn't seem like I am getting closer to some of my goals?
What if my goals aren't appropriate?

Right now, I don't have any true goals as such.
I know I want to keep moving and I have been.
I know I am improving so that is good.
I suppose my only goals for the most part are revenge goals.
I want revenge on the GoRuck Light that I struggled thru.
I want revenge on the Carry The Fallen – White Bear Lake, MN where I wasn't used to the weight and cramped up and had to get a ride.
I want to complete 25 miles in the 23 Hours To End Suicide event at Lutsen.

And one that isn't a revenge goal but keeps coming back to my brain is the 24 Eagle Up Ultra.
It has distance marks of 100 mile, 100 Km, 50 mile, and 50 Km.
There is a rucking category even (20 lb min in ruck).
That is going to cost money to join and get to so still deciding if I am going to go for it.

There are things I need to do in order to accomplish these tasks and I have been doing most of them.
I need to do more "Welcome Party" type exercises to handle the GoRuck better, more HIIT stuff.
More like XFit intensity but I can't afford to do XFit.
I need to plan and execute a meal plan better, and build in interruption handling so if I am late from work, I can still do something healthy.

I know doing more activity will help me lose weight and size which will help in these tasks but I can't concentrate on those or I start to lose momentum when I don't see progress.

Winter is Coming!!!!!!
Winter has been my achilles heel for a LONG time.
I get bad about doing gym and staying active.
I really need to make this a priority this winter.

#DFQ

No comments:

Post a Comment