2018-07-22

First Weigh In & Pics After Surgery


Start of day 4 after surgery.
Sore and still tired.

I did get some good news.
While in the hospital, they did my A1c and it was 6.5%.
Normal on that scale is under 6.4% so am getting closer to that.
Between surgery and the food changes, it should definitely go down.
Now to learn how to use my new Medtronic 670G so I can switch out my Vibe for it.

Struggling to get the 64oz of fluid.
At 1oz every 15 minutes, that is 16 hours of drinking.
I have started keeping a bottle by the bed and drink when I wake up at night.
That has helped since I can get up to 10oz over night.
Currently I am doing 2 protein shakes, 1 clear protein, 10-12oz of dulcalax powder, and the rest is in powerade zero.

Elsolel went out and got some wedge pillows.
Turns out I only needed 1 but we have a spare now.
Sleeping on my back is difficult under normal circumstances but I CAN'T sleep on my side yet.
So having the wedge pillow is letting me sleep on my back fairly comfortably.

Measurements are off if you look at the trend.
I am up a little from the weigh in on Wednesday before surgery.
Back to about where I was last Sunday.
Weight and actual measurements both.

Pictures are harder to tell but you can tell how bruised my stomach is.
Between that and the hematomas from taking the blood thinner, I seriously look like I was abused.
I did save some side by side pics tho.
20180624 to 20180722 in these pics.
The current pics are on the left here.
You can also see the massive bruising




Was able to take a walk, about 1km, but that wiped me out.
Got back and was very light headed.
Need to take water on the walk so I can keep the drinking while I am out.
Will see what I can do again today.

Only took 1 pain med last night and none today other than regular tylenol.
Will see if I can go without the heavy pain med overnight tonight.
Not sure if I can sleep overnight without it but will try.

I switched out from Novolog U-500 insulin to Novolog U-100.
My doctor had me reduce my basal numbers to about 70% of my normal pre-surgery numbers.
Since surgery, I have had to bolus only a little bit and have kept my numbers under 120.
I have to load new insulin in this morning so it has lasted since Thursday late morning until today.

Throat is still sore from the intubation tube.
Nose is really sore and I wonder if they used something in my nose during surgery.
Feels bruised a bit and have had several bloody noses since.

I was supposed to do my Buddy Check today but there was no way I was going to be able to walk any real distance.
I will walk in a bit and see what I can do, maybe the 1km again.

Doing the spirometer to help my breathing.
I can definitely tell when I use it.
I can feel my lungs for sure when I do those deep breaths.

Follow up appointmens on Tuesday.
1 with my primary care physician and one with the surgical staff.
Hopefully I will be able to poop by then.
I haven't gone since last Wednesday but have been taking stool softener to help.
But I was only going every other day during my pre-op diet and I am getting even less now.
I will be on that same diet on Wednesday so who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment