2017-04-08

UnFitness Test

So I did my Fitness test today.

After doing it, felt more like UnFitness test.
Between not doing as much as I should have over the winter and still in recovery from my blood loss 3 weeks ago, I was NOT in good shape.

The initial walk wasn't too bad but then when I got to the body weight stuff, it all fell apart.
With my pack on, I couldn't even complete 1 proper push up.
Finally got back to the 2nd mile walk and couldn't go nearly as fast.

So the results of the test.

Test criteria:
1 mile at best pace
20 squats
20 push ups
20 lunges
20 leg lifts holding pack above your head
1 mile at best pace


20170408
349.2 lbs weight in all my gear without pack.
372.8 lbs weight with all gear and pack on.
23.6 lbs weight of pack

Non Rx:
Bench push ups
10 lunges each leg for 20
Leg lifts from bench versus floor.

Times:
22:49 for first mile.
30:07 for the body weight stuff and transition between
24:19 for last mile.
01:17:15 total for entire test.

Next test 20170513

I will have to concentrate on body weight stuff, mostly chest.
Push ups math coming up.
It seems about 65% of your weight is being pushed during a pushup.
When you wear a pack directly over your shoulders, that adds almost directly to the total.
349.2 lbs * 65% = 227 lbs
Add to that the weight of my pack and I am near 250 lbs.
I can not do a 250 lb bench press.

So, next test will have pack at about the same weight for consistency sake.
2 things will help me next test.
1 if I weigh less, it will mean less to lift on the push ups.
2 if I work on my chest press, I will get stronger.

I have 9 weeks to my scheduled GoRuck.
I am thinking of pushing it off to a later event.
What are your opinions on these?

I have 4 that I am looking at:
LIGHT CHALLENGE: OMAHA, NE (MOG MILE) 09/30/2017 Saturday
Mogadishu Mile
Commemorate the battle in Somalia that inspired Black Hawk Down. This event honors the men of Task Force Ranger – their courage and sacrifice on October 4, 1993. Expect a history lesson and a timeline re-enactment of the mission itself. If you don’t know what the Mog Mile is, you will soon.

LIGHT CHALLENGE: DES MOINES, IA (ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE) 10/07/2017 Saturday
Zombie Apocalypse
Life is hard, it will be harder when the zombies show up. This event will get you ready not only to fight off the undead but teach you to thrive in the post-apocalyptic wasteland.

LIGHT CHALLENGE: DES MOINES, IA (VETERANS DAY) 11/11/2017 Saturday
Veterans Day
Veterans Day is the occasion to honor those who signed a blank check to America. There is no better way to say “Thank You for your Service” than rucking around your city and thanking a Vet. Cadre and Ruckers are expected to bring a picture and bio of someone who served. Cadre will provide the opportunity for you to tell their story and honor those who have served.

LIGHT CHALLENGE: DENVER, CO (GOLD STAR) 09/24/2017
Gold Star
The Gold Star signifies a family's pride in their loved one's sacrifice rather than the mourning of their personal loss. If you or anyone you know is a Gold Star family member and would like to register for FREE please email: info@rtfoundationnj.org. Please include your information as well as a brief bio of your fallen solider. You will be asked to bring a laminated picture of your loved one to pin to your ruck. We will be honoring the fallen at the end of the event where you will also receive your completion patch. GORUCK hopes to bring Gold Star family members and some knowledge of what their loved one endured during their military training so come prepared for a 5+ hour team building event. This will be a wonderful way to honor and remember our fallen as September 25th this year is Gold Star Mother and Family Member Day.

The Gold Star one will take either driving or a flight ($250) to Denver.

Advantages and disadvantages to each.
Mog Mile is very difficult but it is in a location where I know others that might be doing it.
This will probably be 2 weeks after my Carry the Fallen

Zombie Apocalypse is tough but supposed to be a lot of fun.
I have nothing around this one and is currently my first choice due to other stuff but is the least "significant" to some of the other stuff I do.

Veterans Day is special in and of itself for what it represents but is getting late in the season for travel.
As a veteran, this is a very special day for me and being able to do it on Veterans Day will be awesome. Just have to hope I could travel to Des Moines in November.

Gold Star is very special but will require a long distance travel.
I do a lot of work for veterans with PTSD and suicide prevention, that to help support families that have lost someone during their service to our country.


I have to make my change by the end of May so I have time to decide.
If I want to do more than 1 of these, I have to pay for them.


#DFQ










No comments:

Post a Comment